Early Macular Degeneration Treatment Can Prevent Vision Loss
If you are experiencing macular degeneration symptoms, such as impaired central vision, shadows, and blurriness, our doctors can provide macular degeneration treatment at our Northglenn, CO, practice. Macular degeneration (AMD) is a common vision problem that can be treated in a variety of ways, including diet, drug therapy, and laser surgery. At Montgomery Eye Care, our highly qualified doctors will conduct a thorough examination to determine the extent of damage and the type of treatment best suited for your unique needs.
About Macular Degeneration
Macular degeneration is a slow moving, irreversible disease. If left untreated, it can lead to complete loss of vision. Currently, there is no known cure, but treatment is available to prevent its progression and help improve vision. Also referred to as age-related muscular degeneration (AMD), this disease affects central vision. There are currently two different types:
Dry AMD: As the milder yet more common form, dry AMD develops slowly and only leads to minor vision loss. Although the exact cause has not been determined, research has shown that when the retina becomes diseased, it can result in the thinning and drying-out of the macular cells.
Wet AMD: Although less common, wet AMD can cause severe central vision loss. As abnormal blood vessels form beneath the retina’s surface, blood and other fluid will begin to leak and permanently damage the outside cells. As cells within the macula are damaged, this can quickly lead to loss of vision in a short amount of time.
Signs and Symptoms
Common side effects of macular degeneration may include:
- Blurred or distorted vision
- Holes or shadows in the center of vision
- Straight lines distorted into wavy lines
- Difficulty seeing details up close and far away
- Difficult seeing color variations
- Impaired central vision
- Trouble seeing or focusing after exposure to bright light
Treatment Options Available
During your eye exam, Dr. Montgomery will use advanced diagnostics to administer a series of tests to determine the type and severity of your macular degeneration progression. He will carefully review all of the treatment options available to you and address any concerns you may have to create an individualized treatment plan.
Early diagnosis is key in preventing the side effects of AMD, which is why it is important to visit us once a year for a comprehensive exam.
The treatment options available for macular degeneration include:
- Glasses and contacts: For vision impairment, we can provide prescription eyeglasses and contact lenses to alleviate eyestrain.
- Medications and diet changes: Although the exact cause is unknown, factors such as genetics, obesity, smoking, hypertension, high cholesterol, and a high fat diet have been proven to cause AMD. A change in diet and the use of certain prescription medications has been known to slow abnormal blood vessel growth.
- Laser surgery: Our doctors can seal and block the leaking blood vessels through advanced laser technology.
Schedule Your Consultation
Early diagnosis is key in preventing the side effects of AMD, which is why it is important to visit us at least once a year for a comprehensive exam. If you are experiencing AMD symptoms, contact us today to schedule your consultation.
"My friend referred me to Dr. Montgomery who was VERY patient, and determined I had a virus, complicated by dry eye. I have been working with him for over about two years now, and my eye is MUCH better under his very professional care. If you have an ongoing problem, or just need a good eye doc, I highly recommend him."Review From ratemds.com